Cleveland Works is recognized as one of the most productive integrated facilities in the world, producing slightly more than one ton of steel per worker hour. The facility is strategically located on the Cuyahoga River in Cleveland, Ohio, with good access to the Port of Cleveland and Great Lakes shipping, as well as excellent highway and railroad transport. Cleveland-Cliffs is the largest flat-rolled steel producer in North America. Founded in 1847 as a mine operator, Cliffs also is the largest manufacturer of iron ore pellets in North America.
May, 2023: Cleveland-Cliffs Completes Successful Blast Furnace Hydrogen Injection Trial at Middletown Works
This groundbreaking introduction of hydrogen gas as an iron reducing agent in the blast furnace is the first ever use of this carbon friendly technology in the Americas region. The successful use of hydrogen gas represents a significant step toward the future decarbonization of blast furnaces, which are necessary for the continued service of the most quality-intensive steel applications
By Viktor Macha in 2005.
Plant facts and figures
The plant have an annual capacity of 1000000 tons.
The following processes are conducted in the plant:
- Iron making
- Steel making
- Rolling mill
- Coke plant
This plant produces the following type of products:
The beginnings of metallurgy in Cleveland area are dating back to 1830. More than convenient location situated one the shores of Lake Erie and proper railroad connection with Pennsylvania coal mines made Cleveland a strategic American Midwest city soon. In 1870 first private mill “Lakeside Works” was founded by Otis Iron and Steel Co., the very first producer of open-hearth steel in the United States. In 1912 new mill “Riverside Works” by Cuyahoga river was established and two new blast furnaces operated by Corrigan-McKinney Steel Co. were built.
Corrigan-McKinney company was taken over by Republic Steel Corp. in 1935 and old Otis works were bought by Jones & Laughlin Steel soon after. In 1942 the Defense Plant Corp. built for Republic Steel blast furnace C5 and C6 in 1952 (both still in operation). Another significant technological milestone was reached in the beginning of the 60´s, when the old open-hearth furnaces were replaced by pair of oxygen converters. Modern hot strip mill followed in 1971 and slab caster in 1983.
Later on two previously competing mills – Republic Steel and Jones & Laughlin Steel were merged into LTV Steel Corp, however went bankrupt thanks to long-lasting difficulties and poor market situation in 2001. The iron and steel production in Cleveland was restarted in 2005 when International Steel Group (ISG) entered the market and became part of Mittal Steel in 2005, later ArcelorMittal.