It is part of the international steel producer ArcelorMittal and is located at one of the largest steel locations in the world in Duisburg, as is the sister plant ArcelorMittal Hochfeld. Both are named after the neighborhoods in which they are based. The Duisburg steel plant originally started production in 1854 and was operating 8 blast furnaces by 1912; the last of these shut down in 1993.
The company has announced plans to transition from BOF to EAF steelmaking by 2030
By Viktor Macha in 2005.
Plant facts and figures
The plant have an annual capacity of 1300000 tons.
The following processes are conducted in the plant:
- Steel making
- Rolling mill
This plant produces the following type of products:
The metallurgical production in Duisburg-Ruhrort started in 1854, when the first ironworks “Phoenix Actien Gesellschaft” were founded. In 1906 the works were merged with the “Rheinsche Stahlwerke” and new company “Vereinigte Stahlwerke AG” was created. Dynamic development of the metallurgy was crowned by eight blast furnaces proudly standing there by the end of 1912.
After the war the entire metallurgical plant was dismantled by allies and production was restored after several years. In 1957 a brand new steel mill with three Thomas converters was constructed by architect Fritz Schupp and rebuilt for basix oxygen melting in 1969. In 1965 the mill was taken over by “August Thyssen Hütte”.
The last blast furnace was shutdown in 1993, its fragments still can be found on the site together with pair of cowpers.
ISPAT Steel (today ArcelorMittal) is running the steel mill since 1997. The steel production nowadays is driven with two 140 t converters, two continuous casters and a billet mill. Pig iron is transported from nearby ThyssenKrupp Bruckhausen