Founded in 1912 by Trumbull Steel Company, the mill's first blast furnace was built in 1922. In 1928, Trumbull Steel merged with Republic Iron and Steel Company, and was renamed Republic Steel Corporation in 1930. In 1984, the company merged with J&L Steel Company and formed LTV Steel Company. In 1988, the company then became Warren Consolidated Industries (WCI), Inc.
WCI was taken over by Severstal, a Russian steel company, and in 2011, the company was sold to RG Steel, which went bankrupt in 2012. The company has since been owned by ArcelorMittal. The plant was commissioned in 1979, and has access to coal from the Appalachian region and the Princeton coal mine in West Virginia.
By Viktor Macha in 2005.
Plant facts and figures
The plant have an annual capacity of 550000 tons.
The following processes are conducted in the plant:
- Coke plant
This plant produces the following type of products:
The Warren coke plant was established in 1924 as a part of Trumbull Steel (further reading: http://viktormacha.com/galerie/wci-steel-warren-299/).
Current battery with 85 chambers was put built in 1979 and it´s operated by ArcelorMittal. The coke is feeding the blast furnaces in Cleveland, which is about 50 miles northwest.