0Evraz NTMK - celk
Evraz NTMK - zauhlovac¡ vا
Evraz NTMK - koksovna
Evraz NTMK - vp 6 lic” hala
Evraz NTMK - odbØr vzorku
Evraz NTMK - bof shop
Evraz NTMK - kontilit”
Evraz NTMK - v lcovna obruŸ¡ b
Evraz NTMK - v lcovna obruŸ¡
Exit full screenEnter Full screen
 
previous arrow
next arrow
0Evraz NTMK - celk
Evraz NTMK - zauhlovac¡ vا
Evraz NTMK - koksovna
Evraz NTMK - vp 6 lic” hala
Evraz NTMK - odbØr vzorku
Evraz NTMK - bof shop
Evraz NTMK - kontilit”
Evraz NTMK - v lcovna obruŸ¡ b
Evraz NTMK - v lcovna obruŸ¡
previous arrow
next arrow

Nizhnytagil

Evraz Nizhny Tagil

The predecessor of NTMK was the Novo-Tagil Metallurgical Plant (NTMZ), the construction of which lasted from 1931 to 1940.[2] The first blast furnace of NTMZ was put into operation in 1940, and this year is also considered to be the founding year of the current EVRAZ NTMK.[3] In the same year, the open-hearth furnace shop was launched. In 1957, the plant received the status of a "combine" (комбинат, Russian)

Closure and Restart

In the late 1990s, NTMK was close to bankruptcy, but in 2001 the plant was acquired by the EVRAZ holding, which allowed the company to continue steel production.

Image photography

By Viktor Macha in 2005.

Plant facts and figures

The plant have an annual capacity of 4000000 tons.

The following processes are conducted in the plant:

  • Steel making
  • Rolling mill
  • Coke plant

This plant produces the following type of products:

  • Slabs
  • Pig iron
  • Coal&Iron&Minerals

Full description

Giant metalurgical combine on the eastern side of the Urals was founded in 1931. The reason for the construction of new plant were stagnant capacities at the old Demidov smelter (http://viktormacha.com/galerie/nizhnetagilskij-ironworks-nizhniy-tagil-191/). Ambitious plan envisaged with 6 blast furnaces, open-hearth steel mill, two rolling mills and coke plant.

The very first pig iron was poured almost ten years later, in 1940. At the time the plant was producing armour plates mainly and it is said that every third soviet tank was armoured with steel from Tagil.

Important technological leap was done in 1960 by breaking the grouds with first basic oxygen converter shop and the “H” beam rolling mill, the largest one worldwide.

After the privatization in 1992 the mill became part of EVRAZ company. During the overall modernization and transition to the converter steel only the old open hearth plant was shutdown in 2009 for good.
Annual production of crude steel is about 4,4 mio tonnes.

Main data

Owner

The plant is owned by EVRAZ

Address

Plant address: Ulitsa Industrial'naya, 1, Nizhny Tagil, Sverdlovsk Oblast, Russia, 622025

Country

The plant is located in Russia

Find similar plants

Steel Plants Search Compact

CHOOSE LOCATION

CHOOSE YEAR PHOTOGRAPHED

CHOOSE CAPACITY

2000000

CHOOSE PROCESS

CHOOSE PRODUCTS

CHOOSE CREATOR

Latest plants on our platform