Huta Baildon Katowice
Baildon Steelworks (Polish: Huta Baildon) was a major steelworks in Katowice, Poland. It was located in Katowice districts of Załęże and Dąb. Founded in 1823 (then in Prussian Silesia), it was a major local employer and a landmark until its liquidation in 2001.
In 1823 engineer John Baildon began building a puddle mill (the second in Europe) on the site of a former hammer mill. With 300 workers, 3000t of bars were produced here monthly. After Baildon's death in 1846, it became the property of Joseph Doms and A. Wenzl. In 1865, after a two-year standstill, it was bought by Carl August Wilhelm Hegenscheidt, who marked its products with the BHH sign (probably an abbreviation of Baildon Hütte Hegenscheidt). In 1887 the smelter became the property of the Oberschlesische Eisenindustrie AG for mining and smelting operations in Gliwice. From 1891 to 1894, four Siemens-Martin furnaces with a capacity of 12 to 209 tons were put into operation. With the first induction furnace in Upper Silesia in 1907, the production of tool steel,
In 2004, Rüdiger Winterhager acquired the Baildonhütte rolling mill from the insolvency estate. Since then, the plant has operated as BGH Polska Sp. z oo and is part of the BGH group of companies.
By Viktor Macha in 2005.
Plant facts and figures
The plant have an annual capacity of 1650000 tons.
The following processes are conducted in the plant:
- Steel making
- Rolling mill
This plant produces the following type of products:
One of the most famous Polish steelworks were founded in 1823 by Scottish pioneer of European metallurgy John Baildon , who was invited by Friedrich Wilhelm von Reden.
At the time of its construction Baildon was the most modern mill in Poland. This leadership continued thanks to raising technological potential even after the Second World War, during which the production was oriented to military needs only.
The most extensive modernization of the plant was made in 1996 , when the former rolling mill was replaced by brand new 16-standed continuous rolling line.
The dramatic post-revolutionary events hasn´t spared Huta Baildon as well, who bankrupted in 2011.
The steel making shop was kept alive for several years by Gonar company, however shut down later. The rolling mill was taken over by German BGH holding, which still operates the mill today.