Huta Krolewska Chorzow
Few companies can match the history of Huta Królewska as the plant is over 200 years old! On October 25, 1802, the first tapping occurred.
In 1843 Chorzow’s mill was one of the first in Europe to be included on the list of manufacturers of rails for the railway industry. A mere 20 years later, it was already equipped with the first rolling mill in Silesia. It had Jozef Pilsudski and Tadeusz Kosciuszko as its patrons. It underwent transformation from primary operations to one of the most modern downstream facilities providing steel for railway industry and mining. As of January 1, 2009 it belongs to the ArcelorMittal Poland S.A.
ArcelorMittal plant in Chorzów modernized for over PLN 27 million
At a cost of over PLN 27 million, the ArcelorMittal Poland (AMP) metallurgical concern modernized its plant in Chorzów, adapting it to the production of innovative railway rails, which had not previously been manufactured either in Poland or in other plants of the ArcelorMittal Group in the world.
By Viktor Macha in 2005.
Plant facts and figures
The plant have an annual capacity of 350000 tons.
The following processes are conducted in the plant:
- Rolling mill
This plant produces the following type of products:
The decision to build a new smelter in Chorzow was made by the Prussian King Friedrich Wilhelm III. in 1799. Construction works were completed in 1802 and the first blast furnace was put into operation. Besides the pig iron production a zinc foundry “Lydognia” was built within. First puddling furnace, forge and rail rolling mill was commissioned in 1834.
By the 1860 four blast furnaces and a coke plant were already active. The works were purchased by a private buyer and named as “Huta Królewska”. Open-hearth steel making shop and the first Bessemer converter were put into operation between 1880 – 1895. Puddling furnaces and Bessemer process of refining steel was replaced in 1912 by Thomas converter. Ironworks, under Polish administration since 1935, were newly renamed to “Huta Pilsudski”. However until the Second World War only when the smelter was renamed again to “Königshütte” under German domination.
In the 50´s new blast furnaces and coke ovens were built, by that time the mill employs over 8,000 workers.
Dating-out technology and environmentally unfavorable location in the middle of urban development lead to a definitive cease of steel production in 1978. Coke plant followed in 1982 and the last blast furnace in Chorzow was blown-out in 1991.
ArcelorMittal took over the works in 2007 and running the heavy and medium section rolling mill nowadays.