In the northern part of Lake Iseo, some remarkable industrial buildings are rising from the azure waters surrounded by high mountain peaks. It is the Lucchini RS steel plant in Lovere, which was relocated here in 1856 by the entrepreneur G. Andrea Gregorini from nearby village of Vezze d´Oglio.
Lucchini RS Group awarded Danieli with the order for a new open-die forging press for its site in Lovere, Bergamo, Italy, to enlarge the product portfolio whilst supporting its efforts in energy and raw-material optimization and cost reduction.
With a 7000-ton force, the new forging press will give shape to ingots for automotive and industrial applications. It will be the most powerful and energy-efficient open-die forging press among those in operation for Lucchini RS Group.
By Viktor Macha in 2023.
Plant facts and figures
The plant have an annual capacity of 200000 tons.
The following processes are conducted in the plant:
- Steel making
This plant produces the following type of products:
At the beginning the works consided of two charcoal blast furnace, open-hearth shop, iron foundry and a forge.
The production of axles and railway wheels began in 1907.
The period from 1930 to 1987 was marked by restructuring and changes of ownership. These included ILVA (1930), Italsider (1961), Societa Terni Acciai Speciali (1982) and Lovere Sidermeccanica (1987). After privatisation in 1990 the plant was finally taken over by the current owner the Lucchini Group (Lucchini RS since 2008).
Lucchini RS is continuously modernising the plant and expanding production capacity. In 2010 with new wheel rolling mill and in 2012 with new axle and hoop forging plant.