The decision to build a steel plant in Chorzow was made in 1872 , when "Katowicka Spółka Akcyjna" was founded for such purpose. The mill, during first decades known as "Bismarckhütte" was controled by Wilhelm Kollmann, former director of Huta Baildon. Production at the "lower mill" was launched in 1873. At that time there were puddling furnaces and section rolling mill active.
One of the first open-hearth furnaces in Europe was commissioned in 1890 here. In the following years the works expanded with drop forge (1892), electric steel mill and heavy sections rolling mill (1896) . Construction of the "upper mill" which consisted of pipe rolling welding plant and heavy plate rolling mill was completed in 1908.
Between 1912-1915 "duo" reversible rolling mill, at the time the largest stand of it´s kind in Europe, and second Mannesmann rolling mill were put in operation. Production was expanded with marine boilers and armored plates.
In 1933 the name was changed to "Huta Batory" and the whole plant has been significantly modernized.
By Community in .
Plant facts and figures
The plant have an annual capacity of 200000 tons.
The following processes are conducted in the plant:
This plant produces the following type of products:
Quarto plate rolling mill was built in 1961 within the “upper mill” site.
At the beginning of the 1990s, Huta Batory ceased to exist and split into several separate entities. The plate mill first operated under the flag of Huta Katowice Walcownia Blach Grubych “Batory”, then from 2009 Arcellor Mittal, after 2012 HW Pietrzak Holding S.A. and finally from 2017 Węglokoks, which still manages the plant today.